Thursday 13 July 2017

Detoxification and well-being



I detoxify my system from time to time, especially when bloating or constipation stay for a few days. I have no regimen or time frame with which I know to detoxify, but I just know when…

I was bloated for a few days and was hoping my system would sort itself out. Well, not until my tummy started singing loudly in the office. Last night I decided to use all the ingredients I had in the fridge to make a smoothie. I was not sure how the smoothie would turn out but I made it anyway!

After I made it, I mentioned to a friend that I was unsure of it. When I listed the ingredients, he agreed that it might be a weird combination but he also wrote that it had all the vitamins one needs and if I were to take that every day, I would live till 102! Lol 


I did some research this morning and I discovered that indeed, the smoothie has everything good in it! Please see the ingredients and their benefits below.

1) Garden eggs/egg plant
Contains - low calories, low sodium, low protein. High in dietary fibre and potassium manganese, copper and thiamin. ). It is also a good source of vitamin B6, folate, magnesium and niacin.
Good for – weight loss, aids digestion, provides vitamins required for growth and proper functioning of the heart and nervous system. Also, vitamin B1 lowers blood sugar. Protects against infections and diseases, gives relief for aches ex rheumatoid arthritis.

2) Cucumber
Contains - 95% water, polyphenols, low in calories and high in fibre. Has antioxidant properties, contains multiple B vitamins contains potassium.
Good for - Stress management, keeps one rehydrated and is good for the skin, aids digestion. And my favourite, it keeps the breath fresh/fights bad breath.

3) Ginger
Contains - chromium, magnesium, zinc, phenolic compounds, dietary fibre, sodium, calcium, phosphorus, folate, potassium.
Good for -  improving blood flow, remedies motion sickness, helps digestion, fights cold and flu, contains anti-inflammatory fighting substances, cures diarrhea and decreases bacterial infections in the stomach.

4) Celery
Contains - antioxidants, vitamins and minerals such as vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, folate, and dietary fibre.
Good for - treats and prevents high blood pressure, boosts digestion, lowers cholesterol and inflammation, protects the liver and prevents ulcers.

5) Dill
Contains – anti-oxidant properties, vitamins, contains dietary fibres. It contains minerals like copper, potassium, calcium, iron and magnesium.
Good for - helps digestion, helps develop resistance against infections, reduces blood sugar and helps with insomnia – this herb activate the secretion of certain enzymes and hormones which have calming and hypnotic effects, thereby helping people get a good night’s sleep.

6) Lime and lemon
Contains -  vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin E, folate, niacin thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, copper,  calcium, iron,  magnesium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus and protein.
Good for - Helps indigestion and constipation, purifies the blood, cures scurvy, good for skin care, hair care. Could also be helpful for people who have respiratory disorders, digestion and heart diseases.

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of things that lemon and lime could help with especially as the side effects have been drummed into my ears.

The smoothie smelt divine! The fusion of the vegetables and herbs was great. When I tasted it at first, it was an unfamiliar taste but after two gulps, I was fine. It also left a pleasant after taste in my mouth over night, I could still taste it this morning. 

I had an upset tummy yesterday, so I had a glass before bed. This morning, I woke up and rushed to the loo…let’s say I feel so much lighter and good for taking that glass. Sometimes, I detox for two days but after two glasses for breakfast this morning, I think I am fine! 

Should you choose to try, please do not hesitate to give me feedback.


References
Many sources were used,  but one of the regular sources I used was: https://www.organicfacts.net/

4 comments:

  1. Wow the ingredient in the smoothie is rich and healthy, I will sure give this a try. Please do keep more of this post coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share when next I detox. I have a regular smoothie I use, I will write about it in another post. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Cool stuff. The excessive usage of Lime and lemon could trigger serious bowel movement. How do you ensure the right quantity of the various items used to avoid such?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could give advise on particular quantities, but I would say each person would have to use discretion.

      Delete